Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Semi-Improvised Wheatberry Salad


As I was browsing in the bulk food store the other day (yes, browsing) I came across wheatberries. Having previously read about this grain on Daily Nibbles I decided to pick some up. Also, I had a feeling that a wheat berry salad would make a perfect lunch. Boy was I right.

After I brought the said grain home, though, I had no idea what I was getting into. According to Wiki:
"The term wheatberry or wheat berry refers to the entire wheat kernel (except for the hull), comprising the bran, germ, and endosperm. Wheatberries have a tan to reddish brown color and are available as either a hard or soft processed grain. They are often added to salads or baked into bread to add a crunchy texture; as a whole grain, they also provide nutritional benefits since they are an excellent source of dietary fiber." (Wikipedia) 
So, they are healthy. Good. I also discovered that they are delicious. Seriously good. And, keeping with a previous post, they make a perfect hearty salad.


Semi- Improvised Wheatberry Salad
Inspired by the recipe posted on Daily Nibbles.

+ 1 cup wheatberries
+ 1/3 cup nuts (I used almonds)
+ 1/3 cup raisins 
+ 1 apple (I used granny smith)
+ 1/3 cup almonds, slivered
+ 2 cups vegetables (I used bell peppers, corn, peas, and carrots)
+ 1/2 a small onion
+ 1/4 cup vinegar (I used apple cider, but you could probably use any kind)
+ 1/4 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin)
+ Salt and pepper to taste
+ 1/2 a small lemon

First, cook the wheatberries. Make sure you set aside enough time, as they take quite a long time to be ready. I cooked a cup of wheatberries in about 5 cups of water, and drained them once they were cooked (about 1 hour). You could probably use less water, or even make them in a slow cooker, but the-cook-and-drain method suited me fine. When they are cooked, wheatberries are chewy and have a bit of nutty flavor. Pretty tasty.

When the wheatberries are cooking, get your other ingredients chopped and ready. I roughly chopped mine, but you could make them smaller or larger, if you are so inclined. Just cut them, and drop them in a big bowl along with the slivered almonds and the raisins (other dried fruits and nuts would probably also be quite good, too). If you don't want your apple to brown, make sure to toss them in a bit of lemon juice first. My salad lasted two days, and the apple didn't brown one bit.

In a small bowl, mix together the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. If you have any fresh herbs, you could also include those.

When the wheatberries are ready, toss everything together. You'll have one delicious salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment